History of the building

The building of Valga Museum dates back to 1911 and it was designed by the first Estonian professional architect Georg Hellat. As an example of late Art Nouveau, the building with its impressive façade is protected under heritage conservation. The house belonged to the musical and theatrical society of Valga – Säde. The rooms of the society, a theatre hall and a lobby, as well as business premises and the Bank of Valga were located in the left wing of the two-part building. In the right wing of the building, there was a hotel. In 1955, Valga Museum was established and an exhibition opened on the second floor of the Säde house. The exhibition remained there until a fire in 1988. Ten years later, the street-facing part of the historic building was restored and Valga Museum moved to its current rooms.